A Full-Service Law Firm Fighting For Your Rights

Nashville U Visa Attorney

Victims of criminal activity in the United States who are not U.S. citizens may apply for U Nonimmigrant Status (U Visa) to obtain lawful immigration status. The U Visa program is specifically set aside for victims who have suffered mental or physical abuse as a result of the criminal activity, and are helpful to law enforcement or other government officials in the investigation or prosecution of the offender.

Who Is Eligible For A U Visa?

The law office of Maniatis Law PLLC in Nashville, Tennessee, helps clients throughout the United States complete all the steps necessary to obtain U Non-immigrant Status (U Visa). In many cases, time is of the essence, and hiring an attorney to assist you can greatly impact your case. First, you need to determine whether you are eligible for U Status.

What Are The Requirements For A U Visa Or U Status?

  • Victim of Qualifying Criminal Activity: Under the Immigration and Nationality Act, you must be a victim of at least one of the enumerated crimes within the statute which occurred in the United States. These include crimes such as rape, sexual assault, felony assault, domestic assault, stalking, kidnapping, and abduction.
  • Suffered Abuse: You have the burden of proving you suffered substantial mental or physical abuse as a result of the crime. This can be difficult to prove if the harm was mental or psychological. An attorney can greatly assist you in this area and provide the necessary resources, including obtaining expert medical opinion, that will bolster your claim.
  • Helpful to Law Enforcement: You must have been helpful or assisted law enforcement in investigating the offense. The law enforcement agency that investigated the crime must submit a certification that is required to be filed along with your U Status application. It is necessary to quickly request and obtain this certification through adequate channels, and an attorney can speed up this process.

Applying For A U Visa As An Undocumented Immigrant

If you do not currently have status in the United States, you will be required to file an additional form asking for permission to enter the United States as a non-immigrant. You will also need to file this for any accompanying undocumented family members.

Filing A U Visa For Relatives

U Status applicants can include their spouse and children on their application. If the U Status applicant is a minor, they can also include their parents and any unmarried siblings under 18 on their application. If the application is granted, then any family members included also receive U status.

U Visa Processing Times

Due to a restricted number of visas being allowed each year, a backlog of cases is causing a significant wait time. Currently, you can expect to wait several years for a decision on your case. Having an attorney assist you in this process can ensure that your application is filed quickly, and when it is time for action on your case you are prepared and properly notified.

Dedicated To Your Success

Immigration attorney Matt Maniatis is dedicated to his clients’ success. He understands immigration laws and procedures, and how to navigate the confusing U.S. immigration system. Mr. Maniatis will work hard to complete the necessary paperwork accurately and completely, meet filing deadlines, and complete every step as quickly as possible. The attorney and staff at the firm are open and honest, communicate promptly, and keep clients apprised of all important developments in their cases in a timely manner.

Maniatis Law PLLC follows direction from clients, and encourages clients to speak openly and honestly about their circumstances and histories to better help them obtain immigration relief.

Contact Maniatis Law PLLC

The firm’s goal is the same as yours – to bring your loved one to the U.S. so you can live together permanently. For more information, contact the firm online or by calling 615-988-1441.