A Full-Service Law Firm

Fighting For Your Rights

Obtaining Fair Child Custody And Support Orders

Child custody and support, whether handled during a divorce or between two unwed parents, can be an emotionally demanding process. Maniatis Law PLLC, can assist you in reaching an agreement in the best interests of your child, and amicable to both parties. If no agreement can be reached, Maniatis Law PLLC, can effectively represent you in court, doing what is necessary to help you achieve the best possible outcome regarding your custody rights.

Paternity, Visitation And Child Support

Nashville child support lawyer Matt Maniatis can assist parents with all sorts of family law concerns such as establishing paternity, negotiating and setting visitation agreements, explaining potential child support payments, and arguing for child custody and primary visitation.

In addition, the firm represents parents seeking support and custody modifications and enforcement after the initial agreement has been approved. They are committed to protecting the best interests of your child and promoting fair visitation and support arrangements.

  • Establishing paternity: For children born out of wedlock, the mother is vested with full custody in the child, and the father’s rights need to be established through a court order. Paternity can be established through agreement of the parties or by DNA genetic testing.
  • Setting a parenting plan: Parenting plans can be through agreement of the parties, but the judge will ultimately have to approve any proposed plan with the goal of maximizing each parent’s time with the minor child. A day-to-day schedule and a holiday schedule will need to be worked out with clear language so both parties understand their rights and responsibilities. An experienced attorney will use the right language when drafting your agreement to avoid misinterpretation of the parenting plan. If domestic violence or drug issues are present, the court can also order parenting time to be supervised.
  • Child support: Once a parenting plan has been set, the court is required to order child support payments, unless the parties are living together. Under the Tennessee child support laws, an “income shares” model is used where both parents share in the financial support of the minor children. Child support payments will be determined primarily by the income of the parties and the amount of time spent with the minor child. Other factors affecting child support include health insurance and child care payments as well as credits for other children in the home.
  • Contempt: If one party fails to abide by the terms of the parenting plan or child support order, the attorneys at Maniatis Law PLLC, can assist you in filing a petition for contempt. In this proceeding, the nonabiding parent can be subject to fines and/or jail time if it is proven he or she willfully failed to perform his or her duties under the court order.

Safeguarding The Best Interests Of Your Child In Davidson County Juvenile Court And Other Area Courts

In determining the best interest of your child, upon an initial custody determination, the court will look at a range of factors that include:

  • The parent-child relationship
  • Each parent’s ability to provide a suitable home
  • A stable living arrangement
  • The parents’ mental and physical health
  • The child’s preference, if over 12
  • Past emotional or physical abuse.
  • Each parent’s commitment to raising the child and meeting the child’s needs

For More Information About Child Custody And Visitation

Attorneys can assist you in formulating a compelling argument to assist you in your child custody, visitation or child support needs. For a phone consultation about the divorce process, your child custody, visitation or support issue, or to set up an appointment at our Nashville office, contact us today. We represent clients in Davidson County and throughout Middle Tennessee.