A Full-Service Law Firm Fighting For Your Rights

Immigration Law Frequently Asked Questions

The United States immigration process can be overwhelming. Nashville immigration attorney Matt Maniatis is here to answer your questions, listen to your concerns and guide you through the process. In the meantime, please see some answers to frequently asked questions about immigration law.

How Do I Fix My Immigration Status?

Adjusting your immigration status requires you to complete a permanent residence application that allows you to apply for a green card. To qualify for adjustment of status, you must meet certain criteria and find a green card sponsor. At Maniatis Law, attorney Maniatis will help you through every step of the process.

To learn more, visit the Adjustment of Status page.

I’m A U.S. Citizen; How Do I Bring My Spouse To The U.S.?

Your options for filing permanent residency for your spouse depend on several factors, including whether they came to the United States on a visa. Attorney Maniatis will review your circumstances and help you determine if you have to go to the embassy to get a marriage visa or if you can apply for a marriage green card. He will also address concerns about whether your spouse can stay in the country throughout the process.

Do I Need An Immigration Lawyer For A Green Card?

While many people successfully navigate the green card application process on their own, working with an experienced attorney can help streamline the process and increase your chances of success. Immigration law in the U.S. is complicated, especially if you do not speak English. The staff at Maniatis Law speaks fluent English and Spanish to ensure that you understand and feel comfortable throughout the process.

Will I Lose My Immigration Status If I’m Convicted Of A Crime?

A criminal conviction can ruin your immigration plans and derail your future in the United States. Depending on the severity of the crime, you may face deportation, the loss of your green card and other serious consequences. If you face criminal charges, contact an experienced immigration and criminal defense attorney as soon as possible to best protect your rights.

How Much Does An Immigration Attorney Cost?

Cost and quality should not be mutually exclusive when seeking legal representation. Maniatis Law understands that legal services can be expensive. Attorney Maniatis is committed to providing his clients with the best possible representation at a fair and reasonable price. He will always be transparent and upfront about his legal fees, and he offers flexible payment options to make it easier for you to afford what you need.

What Constitutional Rights Does A Non-US Citizen Have?

If you’re a non-U.S. citizen residing in the United States, it’s essential to understand that you still possess certain constitutional rights, regardless of your immigration status. These rights include:

  • Fair treatment and due process
  • Non-discrimination
  • Freedom of speech, religion and assembly
  • Protection from cruel punishment
  • Right to legal counsel
  • Protection from unreasonable searches
  • Right to petition the government

Attorney Maniatis can help you better understand your legal options if there has been an infringement on your rights.

Is There A Visa That Can Protect Me If I Am A Victim Of Abuse?

Yes. Under the Violence Against Women Act (VAWA), non-U.S. citizens who are victims of abuse by a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident spouse, parent or child may be eligible for protection. A U nonimmigrant visa may also provide relief for certain victims of crime who have been subjected to abuse.

Do You Automatically Get A Green Card When You Marry A U.S. Citizen?

No, marrying a U.S. citizen does not automatically grant a non-U.S. citizen spouse a green card (lawful permanent residence). Instead, the non-U.S. citizen spouse must go through a process known as “adjustment of status” to obtain a green card. The process is quite involved, with several steps. Obtaining a green card through marriage can take approximately anywhere from a little more than a year to several years, depending on various factors such as USCIS workload, case complexity and individual circumstances.

Can Failure To Pay Child Support Or Alimony Affect The Immigration Process?

Yes, failure to pay child support or alimony can potentially affect the immigration process, particularly if it leads to legal issues or financial hardship. Immigration authorities may consider an individual’s financial stability and adherence to legal obligations when evaluating their eligibility for things such as a green card or visa renewal.

Get All Your Questions Answered

At Maniatis Law, everyone on staff speaks fluent Spanish and English, so you can feel comfortable communicating throughout your case. To schedule a consultation at the Nashville office location, call 615-988-1441 or complete an online contact form.