A Full-Service Law Firm Fighting For Your Rights

Nashville Adjustment Of Status Attorney

When love crosses international boundaries, the immigration process can become complicated. An experienced immigration lawyer can simplify the process and make it easier for U.S. citizens to bring spouses and other loved ones to live in the United States legally.

Permanent Residency And Citizenship For Spouses And Relatives Of U.S. Citizens

The law office of Maniatis Law PLLC, in Nashville, Tennessee, helps clients throughout the United States complete all the steps necessary to obtain marriage visas, fiancé(e) visas and other potential visas. The attorney at Maniatis Law PLLC, can assist their clients to obtain work authorization, legal status, permanent residency and ultimately U.S. citizenship. If you are a U.S. citizen married to a non-U.S. citizen, Maniatis Law PLLC, can assist you in the following ways:

Adjustment Of Status

If your non-citizen spouse is currently in the United States and entered the country with a visa, he or she can apply for permanent residency (green card) through a process called “adjustment of status.” This process includes filing several forms simultaneously with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services accompanied by supporting documentation.

  • Genuine Marriage: You and your spouse have the burden of proving the marriage was entered into in good faith and not simply to obtain an immigration benefit. This will include more than just proof the marriage is legal. Your attorney can assist you in compiling sufficient “Bona Fide Marriage Evidence” to show your marriage is genuine.
  • Eligible for Permanent Residency: You must also provide evidence that your spouse is eligible for permanent residency. This includes not only proof of valid entry into the United States, but includes exploring potential pitfalls such as criminal convictions and immigration law violations. Anyone with even a minor criminal record should have their case reviewed by an attorney to ensure your application isn’t denied on these grounds.
  • Public Charge Considerations: The petitioning U.S. citizen must also prove he or she earns enough income to support the household. This is done by submitting tax and income records; however, assets and joint sponsors can be utilized to assist in this process if necessary. In addition, any attempts at obtaining or receiving any type of U.S. government benefit must be disclosed. Applicants have the burden of proving they will not end up relying on the federal government for future support.

If your spouse is not in the United States, or did not enter the country with a visa, check out our page to learn more about Consular Processing of Immigrant Visas.

Can I File An Adjustment Of Status Application If I Entered Without A Visa?

Generally, no. The law states you must have a lawful admission into the U.S. to qualify. There are some exceptions, including immediate relatives of those who’ve served in the armed forces, and those who’ve received U Status as victims of crime. Otherwise, you will have to pursue consular processing of an immigrant visa.

Can I File An Adjustment Of Status Application If I Overstayed My Visa?

Immediate relatives of U.S. citizens are not prohibited from adjusting their status if they overstayed their visa, worked without permission, and a few other immigration violations that would otherwise bar an applicant.

Dedicated To Your Success

The firm’s founding attorney Matt Maniatis is dedicated to their clients’ success. He understands immigration laws and procedures, and how to navigate the confusing U.S. immigration system. Maniatis Law PLLC will work hard to complete the necessary paperwork accurately and completely, meet filing deadlines, and complete every step as quickly as possible. The firm is open and honest, communicates promptly, and keeps clients apprised of all important developments in their cases in a timely manner.

Maniatis Law PLLC, follows direction from clients, and encourages clients to speak openly and honestly about their circumstances and histories to better help them obtain immigration relief.

Contact Maniatis Law PLLC

The firm’s goal is the same as yours – to bring your loved one to the U.S. so you can live together permanently. For more information, contact a Nashville marriage visa lawyers online or by calling 615-988-1441.