Nashville Immigration, Family, and Criminal Defense Attorneys
Hablamos Español / Nous Parlons Français (615) 366-1211 (615) 366-1611 Call Now

Will Government Benefits affect my ability to get a Green Card?

There are various types of government benefits availabe to those in need. These are lawfully open to U.S. citizens, permanent residents, and non-permanent residents. If you are worried that accepting certain benefits could affect your ability to become a permanent resident, continue reading below.


Applying for a Green Card

If you are applying for a green card, you will need to prove you will not become a public charge. Therefore, if you have accepted government benefits, you may not be able to meet this burden.

Lawfully obtained non-cash assistance benefits will not affect your ability to receive a Green Card (Lawful Permanent Residency). Acceptable benefits include:

  • Health care assistance (certain Medicaid benefits, free/low-cost medical care)
  • Food programs (SNAP, WIC, school meals)
  • Veterans benefits
  • Government pensions
  • Social Security insurance
  • Unemployment compensation
  • Public housing assistance
  • Emergency shelter assistance
  • Educational Assistance
  • Job training
  • Disaster Relief

However, cash-assistance benefits may cause you to encounter problems when applying for a Green Card. This is true even if these benefits were obtained lawfully by a family member.

Need help preparing your application?

If you or your family has received government benefits and you are considering applying for your Green Card, contact the experienced attorneys at Saenz & Maniatis, PLLC to evaluate your case. Don't file your paperwork without the help of an attorney.  

Give us a call at (615) 366-1211 for a consulation. Our office is open 9am to 6pm Monday through Friday. We're located near the Nashville International Airport, at 2874 Elm Hill Pike, Nashville, TN 37214.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information


Saenz & Maniatis PLLC
2874 Elm Hill Pike
Nashville, TN 37214

Phone: 615-366-1211
Map & Directions