A Full-Service Law Firm

Fighting For Your Rights

Permanent residency isn’t exactly permanent

by | Oct 9, 2019 | Immigration |

Permanent residency is a status for people trying to move and live in the United States. Once you qualify and obtain the status of permanent resident, you will receive a green card. This allows you to live and work in the United States for the foreseeable future. This status allows you to petition for close family members to receive permanent residency as well and move to the U.S.

However, it is possible for you to lose your permanent resident status. You might have your green card taken away and face deportation if you commit certain acts.

Living outside of the United States

If you live outside of the United States for at least six months, authorities will investigate your permanent residency status. If you live outside of the United States for 12 months or longer immigration officers will assume you have abandoned your green card. Attempting to retain or reapply for a green card may be difficult at this point.

If you are planning on traveling outside of the United States for at least 12 months, you can apply for a re-entry permit. This will allow you to return to the U.S. granted no other issues arise.

Committing a crime

Committing a minor crime may not put you in jeopardy of losing your green card. However, there are certain actions that may endanger your permanent resident status such as:

  • Failure to advise immigration officials of address change
  • Committing two misdemeanors
  • Committing an aggravated felony
  • Conviction of a crime with a sentence of one year or longer

Marriage and visa fraud

Committing fraud can happen at any point in the immigration process, whether you are filling out an application or speaking with an immigration official. The two most common instances of fraud are marriage fraud and visa fraud.

Potentially losing your residency status can have a serious effect on your life. This makes it is important to act quickly. If you believe you are at risk of losing your green card and permanent resident status, speaking to an experienced immigration lawyer can help you to understand your options.